Do I get to choose the family?

Yes. Every birth mother has the right to choose whom she will consider as the adoptive parents of the baby to be born to her. If you call our office, you will be asked to answer some questions that help us determine what you are looking for in an adoptive family. Is a single parent acceptable, or would you prefer a couple? Is a same sex home acceptable? What religions are acceptable to you? Do you prefer a stay at home parent, or is it acceptable that both parents have careers? Can the adoptive parents have other children?

Can I meet the adoptive family?

Yes. You have an absolute right to meet the adoptive family. It proves to give both the birth mother and the adoptive parents a better feeling about the process when they have met and actually participate together in the pregnancy.

Do I have to talk to a social worker?

Yes, unless this is a relative adoption. Nevada law requires a licensed child placing agency to be involved in every adoption in which the birth mother and one of the adoptive parents is not related within three degrees of consanguinity. Once you have chosen the adoptive family, we contact one of the licensed agencies and give them information on how to contact you to set up a meeting. Nevada law does not permit home studies to be released to attorneys, so it is the case worker assigned to you that will answer any further questions you have about the family you chose, your counseling needs, and the process.

What information am I entitled to?

In a specific adoption, i.e., one in which you have chosen the adoptive family, you are entitled to read their home study prepared by the licensed agency. You have a right to full disclosure. This includes their legal names, ages, religion, marital status, length of current marriage, number of children, education, employment, medical condition, financial condition and whether there is any arrest history.

Who pays expenses?

Nevada law allows for the payment of "reasonable" expenses by the adoptive parents. These include pregnancy related medical and hospital expenses not covered by insurance or Medicaid, any living expenses during the period a birth mother is unable to work due to the pregnancy, including a short period of time thereafter, all agency fees, and all legal fees.

What if I want pictures or other information assuring me that my child is doing fine?

Nevada law provides for Post-Placement Contact Agreements. Most birth mothers like a picture and a letter as to how the child is doing at some point up to a year after birth. A few birth mothers want annual updates. Most adoptive parents are agreeable to this type of communication. It is often done through the agency.

What if I want my child to be able to find me in the future?

Nevada has a Birth Parent Registry. At the time you sign your Consent or Relinquishment, you have the right to complete a Registry form. If, upon attaining the age of 18, or thereafter, the child also wants to find you, the child can complete a Registry form. When both have made this request, contact information is made available.

Find Out How Our Lawyers Can Help You

From our office in Las Vegas, we represent clients throughout Nevada. To speak with a lawyer at our firm about your legal matter, call 702-438-8060. You may also contact us online using the form.

Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input

I have read the Disclaimer and Privacy Policy

Invalid Input